When it comes to protecting the environment, there are a lot of small steps that can be taken to ensure your household becomes more sustainable. This is especially true when there are young children and babies in the house. A great tip is to focus on the kind of products that you rely on to look after them.
An example is to make the switch to an eco-friendly product like Ecovibe’s reusable nappy, as it can do wonders for the environment. In this article we’ll explore what the benefits of reusable nappies are and how to put them on, so your baby is comfortable and secure.
What are the benefits of a reusable nappy?
Disposable nappies are one of the most common sights in a landfill. In fact, 4% of landfill is made up of disposable nappies and they can take up to 500 years to break down, creating a detrimental effect to the environment.
The great thing about reusable nappies is that they are made out of eco-friendly materials such as polyester and Polyurethane Laminate (PUL), which are much more forgiving on the environment in the long run.
Protect children against harmful chemicals
Some nappies are sprayed with chemical gels to aid with cleaning and hygiene, yet this can lead to discomfort for a child, causing skin rash. Reusable nappies don’t rely on any chemical gels and the natural materials they are made from are super absorbent and comfortable.
In addition, the nappies are water resistant, keeping wetness away from the skin and prevent any leakage.
Another major benefit of reusable nappies is how cost-effective they are compared to disposable nappies. You can save up to £700 by switching to reusable nappies!
Even if it’s a case of switching to one reusable nappy per day over a single-use nappy, then there’s still the potential to save a lot of money in the long term.
How to put on a reusable nappy
There are several steps to putting on a reusable nappy and we’ve broken them down into key features and prepping below:
- PUL outer: The outer layer of the nappy is made from PUL.
- Stay dry inner fabric: The inside of the nappy has been made out of a specialised stay dry fabric to avoid leakage.
- Hook and loop closure: The hook and loop closure is on the outside of the nappy, which can be adjusted as necessary.
- Laundry tabs: These features help to extend the life of the hook and loop closure and stop the nappy from attaching to other nappies in the wash.
- Back pocket: Located at the back of the nappy, this where the absorbent soaker goes.
- Absorbent soaker: Made out of microfibre, this feature helps to absorb any moisture and keep the wearer comfortable.
- Put the nappy in a washing machine to ensure it’s been washed at least once before use. Recommended temperature is up to 140 Fahrenheit (60 Celsius)
- Wash with a non-bio detergent and avoid fabric softener or chlorine bleach
- Hang out to dry on a washing line or tumble dry on a low heat.
- Put the nappy on the baby.
Discover our full range of eco-friendly baby products
We’d love to hear what you thought of our EcoVibe reusable nappy so leave your comments below and be sure to check out our full range of eco-friendly baby products.